Deforestation mitigation and emissions reduction is tough business – it’s our passion for conservation that drives BCP, and it’s important we lead the way and ‘walk our talk’.
BCP has been carbon neutral for the last 5 years. We hope that one day we will be able to conduct our conservation and community work without generating emissions at all. For now, we’ve achieved neutrality by switching to eco-friendly alternatives where possible, and then retiring BCP offsets to cover the unavoidable emissions.
As an organisation, in 2019, BCP will generate 400 tonnes of carbon emissions. Over the years we have achieved reduced emissions from our operations and activity by making a few easy changes that might also work for your company.
- Purchased more efficient vehicles
- Installed solar power at our HQ and regional offices
- Switched from 4×4 vehicles to motorbikes for field work, whenever possible
- Cut beef from the menu at BCP meetings and events (learn why)
- Adopted technology that enables multi-office meetings without requiring travel
- Made conscious efforts to reduce food waste in our offices
- Begun recycling glass and plastic bottles through local projects that provide community income
- Staff and company efforts to commute via carpooling.
Our remaining, unavoidable, emissions are generated by necessary national and international flights for staff as well as fuel for vehicles travelling throughout rural communities and conservation areas and light aircraft which is used to patrol the 1 million ha forests
It’s easier and often less expensive than you think to take your company carbon-neutral. Contact us by email to start the process and calculate your organisation’s emissions.